Sunday, November 26, 2006

Shadows Collide With People


Over the holiday weekend I promised myself to listen to some cd's that I hadn't played in over a year. The first was John Frusciantes', Shadows Collide With People. Different than what you would expect from a Chili Peppers' sound the album allows Frusciante to expand on different sounds and overdubbing techniques. An interesting listen by one of my all time favorite guitarists.
This Cold
"Between 1992 and 1997, John Frusciante had many periods where his main social activity was with spirits manifested as voices, thought waves, astral bodies and decay of physical matter. The things they taught him (often in non-Earth language, but often in English) are contained in this record's words. The feelings of this music is the feeling of the spirits John Frusciante is friends with." -John Frusciante self penned bio.
Chances
"Since I was four I've had deep feelings for music. By the time I was 7, I started becoming obsessed about the groups I liked. By the time I was 10, 11, music was the only thing that made life meaningful to me. My excitement about music is what led me to play the guitar in the first place – as well as feelings of pain inside me that I didn't know where to direct."
"Once I found music as a place to put that energy, I became a much more relaxed person, because I was starting to get aggravated at the age I started playing guitar, when I was, like, 12. I was getting very frustrated and angry, and once I started being able to learn punk songs and bash on my guitar, I became the peaceful person that I'm supposed to be." -(Austin Chronicle, Raoul Hernandez, 11/26/04)
Second Walk
"To make the album without the experience in my life would be impossible. It's only because I've gone so deep inside myself and faced so many things that by nature I should be scared of. You know, being in a room and sitting there with a ghost, hearing their voice in your head and seeing them as clearly as I'm seeing you right now." (Kerrang! Magazine, on 2/10/01)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home