Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Music Equals The Images


Yesterday, while I was driving home from yet another meeting a song came on the radio that instantly flashed an image in my mind. The opening guitar chords had barely started and I had a vivid image of people walking down the beach. Two heartbeats later the vocals kicked in and I placed the song, "In The City", to the movie, The Warriors. I haven't seen the movie in awhile but it just clicked right then and there. I got to thinking about how one of my favorite bands ever could be co-opted so freely. The movie scene over powers the numerous live Eagles concerts I attended. That's some freaky shit! It's funny but after a few minutes of thinking about it there are a couple songs that I associate more with the visual image from a movie than the band or the songs video. Case in point, Derek & The Domino's, "Layla" piano outro is attached to Goodfellas. Queens', "Bohemian Rhapsody" will be forever linked to Waynes' World. Elton Johns' "Tiny Dancer" will instantly take me back on the bus in Almost Famous. Stealers Wheel, "Stuck In The Middle (With You)", I don't care how many commercials later will always bring up the "ear scene" in Reservoir Dogs.

Audience participation time. What songs place you back in a film or television show instantly? Drop a comment below and I'll dedicate a post to it next week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't make a choice...so pick up one !

Public Enemy "Fight The Power" in "Do the right thing" (Spike Lee)
David Bowie "Modern Love" in "Mauvais Sang" (Leos Carax)
Elvis Presley "Love me" in Wild at Heart (David Lynch)(even if Cage is singing...)
Sister Carol "Wild Thing" in Something Wild (Jonathan Demme)
Leonard Cohen "Everybody Knows" in Pump up the volume (Allan Moyle)
...
etc etc...

November 26, 2006 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the City immediately makes me think of The Warriors also. As for Bohemian Rhapsody - I never actually saw the whole movie & it was already a well-known song before the movie.

December 05, 2006 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home