Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing


"I'm a rompin', stompin', piano playing son of a bitch. A mean son of a bitch.
But a great son of a bitch"
....Jerry Lee Lewis, Time magazine, 3/14/1983


Jerry Lee Lewis, the Killer, is my Dad's music. Not to say that you have to be old to like Jerry Lee, but my Dad claimed it as his music when I was a little kid. I remember him telling me that this was what he listened to with his brothers as a kid on some distant AM radio station. In fact, if it was released during the 1950's it was my Dad's music. To this day if you mention an artist from that decade he owned the record or saw them perform live. It was his music. I swear my dad got around for a kid who grew up in Hibbing, MN.
Today, I received a package from my dear old Dad. Inside was the new Jerry Lee Lewis CD, "Last Man Standing". I had to chuckle as I flipped it over to read the track listing. Let me give you a little backstory. When I was growing up my dad had a crazy record collection. He had tons of 45's. One of them was an original print of "Great Balls of Fire". He used this as the morning battle cry to wake my brother and I up. Forget an alarm clock like conventional parents, Dad would crank the family stereo up and drop the needle on this one record. This went on for about ten years until the record finally scratched, and Dad switched to tapes. So with my baby due in January my Dad attached a nice little note, "Down the line when your daughter won't get up, put on a little Jerry Lee!"
Last Man Standing is a duet album with rock and roll royalty. Twenty-one tracks that touch upon all walks of the rock spectrum. I can definitely say this will be one of my new favorite drinking records!
"Just point me to the piano and give me my money. In fifteen minutes I'll have 'em SHAKIN', SHOUTIN', SHIVERIN', and SHACKIN'" ...Jerry Lee Lewis
Rock And Roll featuring Jimmy Page.
I Saw Her Standing There featuring Little Richard
Before The Night Is Over featuring B.B. King

Rolling Stone Interview: The Killer Reloaded

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home