Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I.R.S. Records


Growing up in Southern California during the '80s I was privileged enough to have a radio station like KROQ (106.7). What seemed to fill the frequency during this time was a roster full of I.R.S. artists.
In 1979 Miles Copeland, agent and manager, optioned the single “Roxanne” by the Police to A&M Records. When the Police signed with A&M Records, Copeland negotiated a distribution deal establishing the International Record Syndicate (I.R.S.).
In the next few years, the company had hits with The Buzzcocks, The Beat, The Cramps, Wall of Voodoo, Timbuk 3, R.E.M. and a number one album with the all-girl group, The Go-Gos. This formula established the label as one of the most innovative in the business. I.R.S. left its distribution agreement with A&M in 1985. I.R.S would find a new home with MCA records. In 1994, EMI bought I.R.S for an estimated $20 million. In 1996 they officially closed down the label.

I.R.S. Discography
A Compilation of the I.R.S roster:

R.E.M - "The One I Love"
Wall Of Voodoo - "Mexican Radio
Go-Go's -"Our Lips Are Sealed"
The Cramps - "Goo Goo Muck"
General Public - "Tenderness"
The English Beat - "Save It For Later"
Stan Ridgway
Berlin
Fine Young Cannibals - "She Drives Me Crazy"
Belinda Carlisle - "Mad About You"
The Alarm
Lords Of The New Church
Timbuk 3 - "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"
dada - "Dizz Knee Land"
Concrete Blonde - "Joey"
Oingo Boingo - "Only A Lad"
I.R.S. Records 1979-1994 Compilation (Zip of the above songs)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home